The Malaysian Computing Olympiad program is run by the Malaysian Informatics and Programming Society (MIPS). It aims to support computing education for secondary and pre-university students in Malaysia by providing:
- The annual Malaysian Computing Competition (MCC), a computational-thinking contest.
- The annual Malaysian Computing Olympiad (MCO), an algorithmic computer programming competition. Participation to the MCO is by invitation-only to the top performers in the MCC.
- Training camps for the top programming students in Malaysia. Shortlisted students will take part in the Asia-Pacific Informatics Olympiad (APIO), a difficult algorithmic computer programming competition.
- Opportunity for the top 4 students in Malaysia to represent their country at the International Olympiad in Informatics (IOI), the most prestigious international algorithmic computer programming competition at the secondary and pre-university level.
2014 Malaysia IOI Team Selected
Congratulations to the members of the team that will represent Malaysia at the 2014 International Olympiad in Informatics in Taiwan on 13-20 July 2014. They are:
1. How Si Wei, Kolej Matrikulasi Johor
2. Lim Yun Kai, UTAR Kampar (Foundation in Science)
3. Ng Jia Jen, SM Sains Selangor
4. Quah Fu Yong, INTI International College Penang
To these four young programmers: good luck, and make Malaysia proud!
Road to the IOI
The selection process for the IOI involves several stages, starting from the Malaysian Computing Competition, which is open to all Malaysian students. The best performers are then invited to undergo a series of selection tests and camps, through which the final four students are selected to represent Malaysia at the annual International Olympiad in Informatics.
For the 2014 IOI season, feel free to explore the links below for details regarding the different stages of the process:
- MCC 2013 was held on 18 September 2013
- MCO 2014 was held on 19-20 April 2014 at Wisma Jobstreet, KL
- APIO 2014 was held on 4 May 2014 at Wisma Jobstreet, KL