- 8 September 2013: Deadline for registration.
- 18 September 2013: MCC 2013 Competition Day (Time: 3.00pm – 4.30pm).
What is MCC?
The Malaysian Computing Competition (MCC) is a paper-based contest that is used as a preliminary selection round for the International Olympiad in Informatics (IOI). The MCC was founded in 2012 to fill the need for a programming contest for Malaysian high schools students.
Malaysia first participated in the IOI 2011 (Thailand) as an invited observer, before sending full teams to IOI 2012 (Italy) and IOI 2013 (Australia). MCC 2013 is the preliminary selection round for the Malaysian team to the IOI 2014 that will be held in Taiwan.
The objectives of MCC are:
- To promote computing education among secondary and pre-university students in Malaysia
- To identify students talented in problem solving and algorithmic thinking for the selection of the national IOI team.
MCC is brought to you by the Malaysian Informatics and Programming Society. See our About page for more details.
MCC 2012 Results
The first edition of MCC was held on 19 September 2012, with participation from 36 schools from all over Malaysia.
MCC 2012 Results
MCC is the preliminary selection process of a year-long program to identify and train the top programming talents in Malaysian schools. Top scorers in MCC will be:
- Invited to a programming camp, tentatively to be held in December 2013.
- Upon successful completion of the camp, to be invited to the Malaysian Computing Olympiad (MCO), a real-time programming competition, to be held tentatively in April 2014.
The top scorers in MCO will be called for a series of intensive training camps conducted by experienced Olympiad participants. Students who qualify at this level will participate in Asia Pacific Informatics Olympiad (APIO), an annual online contest among countries in the Pacific Rim region. After the training camps and APIO, four students will be selected to represent Malaysia in International Olympiad in Informatics (IOI) 2015 which will take place in Taiwan on July 2014.
Please read the following section (About the Malaysian Computing Competition) first before you register, as the section contains all the relevant information about MCC 2013.
Starting in 2013, we will only accept online registration. To register, please download the following order form (Excel file): MCC 2013 REGISTRATION FORM
Complete the form, and return it (in Excel format) by email to
mcc [at] ioimalaysia [dot] org along with payment of the registration fee. You may keep a printed copy of the form for your official record; it is not necessary to send a hardcopy to us.
Your registration is considered complete once we receive the completed form and payment. We will send a confirmation email within 3 working days.
The MCC is open to all primary, secondary and pre-university students in Malaysia.
The competition is to be administered directly at your school, simultaneously with all the other participating schools.
During registration, a Teacher-in-Charge should be appointed by each participating school. The Teacher-in-Charge is responsible for registering the participants, paying the registration fee, safekeeping the competition package, administering the competition, and returning the answer scripts to the MCC 2013 Secretariat for processing.
- Complete the Registration Form (refer to “Registration and Payment” section above) and submit your registration along with the payment. Only teachers or lecturers should do the registration.
- Once received, we will confirm your registration via email within 3 working days.
- One week before the competition, we will courier the competition package. The Teacher-in-Charge is responsible to safe-keep the package until competition day.
- On competition day, the Teacher-in-Charge will administer the test according to the instructions given in the competition package.
- After the competition, the Teacher-in-Charge will sign the honor code and return the answer scripts to the MCC 2013 Secretariat. In approximately one month, the results will be announced and the certificates will be mailed to the schools.
Format and Sample Questions
The MCC is an individual written exam that covers math and logical problems related to algorithms and programming. Students are required to write only the answers to the questions.
The time given is 1 hour 30 minutes (3.00pm to 4.30pm).
Students are not allowed to use a calculator. The only instruments allowed are pencil/pen, eraser, and rough paper. No computer programming experience is necessary.
You may download MCC sample paper and the MCC 2012 paper. (note: the time given for MCC 2012 is 1 hour; whereas the time given for MCC 2013 is 1 hour 30 minutes).
Answer key for MCC 2012: 35, 4, D, 3, 6, 12, 16, 5, 10, 16, 4, 3, 5.
The registration fee for MCC 2014 is RM 15 per participant, or RM 12 per participant if there are 31 or more participants from one school.
You may pay the registration fee via bank-in or online transfer to our bank account (info below). Payment should be uploaded (via registration website) after submission of participants list to finalize the registration.
Bank account information:
Account Name: PERTUBUHAN INFORMATIK DAN PENGATURCARAAN MALAYSIA Account Number: 8600213076 Bank: CIMB Islamic Bank (Taman Danau Kota branch)
We strongly urge that anyone interested to participate to talk to your school teacher about sending a team. In the case that your school is not sending a team, or you are not currently attached to any school, you may register as an Individual Participant.
An Individual Participant may only participate at designated official venues that will be determined by the MCC Secretariat. The participant is solely responsible for making traveling arrangements to the official venues. Since official venues are not available throughout the country, there might be significant travel involved.
If you would like to participate as an Individual Participant, please send us an email with the title “MCC 2013 Individual Participant” with the following information:
- IC number
- School name and address
- Home address
- Contact number.
Categories and Awards
There are three categories for the MCC:
- Bongsu / Junior – Form 1, 2, 3, or Primary school;
- Muda / Intermediate – Form 4, 5;
- Sulung / Senior – Form 6 (lower & upper), Pre-U (Matriculation, Foundation Studies, IB, A-Levels, etc.).
All students will take part in the same competition, but prizes will be awarded by category. There will be individual and team prizes. Individual prizes are Gold, Silver, Bronze and Honorable Mention awards. The best performing five students in each category will automatically be in the school’s team. Teams are ranked according to the total of their individual scores. Team prizes are also Gold, Silver, Bronze and Honorable Mention awards. Please consider sending at least five students per category. This would allow your school to qualify for a team prize.
Please direct all inquiries about MCC 2013 via email to
mcc [at] ioimalaysia [dot] org.
The Malaysian Computing Competition 2013 (MCC 2013) was successfully held on 18 September 2013, with 1110 participants from 57 schools taking part. The MCC is the first selection round for the Malaysian team to the International Olympiad in Informatics 2014.
Congratulations to all the individual and team winners. In particular, eight participants deserve a special mention for obtaining the perfect score. They are:
- IVAN LAU PENG HUI, TAYLOR’S COLLEGE SUBANG JAYA
- LIM WEI XIAN, SUNWAY COLLEGE (KL)
- TAN SEE YEE, KOLEJ YAYASAN UEM
- ANZO TEH ZHAO YANG, SMJK CHUNG LING BUTTERWORTH
- KHONG YI KYE, SMJK SIN MIN
- STANLEY CHEAH, PUSAT PERMATAPINTAR NEGARA
- SEAN GEE ZHING, SMJK YOK BIN
- THEAM WING CHUN, SMJK SIN MIN
Each participant will receive a certificate of participation, and each award winners will receive a certificate of award. Certificates will be delivered by courier to the participating schools.
Top winners will be invited to attend a seminar for the upcoming Malaysian Computing Olympiad 2014.
Congratulations to all winners!